Last updated: July 8, 2020

Math Skill: Interpreting circle graphs

Science Skill: Earth Water

Grade level: 4th & 5th grades

Environmental Area: Water

Area level: National-scale

Purpose: Understand how much water is used for what purposes and develop awareness of water quality



Our country uses about 322 billion gallons of water every day to meet our demands. Most of the water we use is freshwater (87%), and the rest is saline-water (13%). Freshwater is either extracted from surface water (lakes, swamps, rivers, and snow on the top of the mountains) or pumped from underground. About 71% of freshwater consumed in our country comes from from surface water and the rest  is from groundwater (29%) (U.S. Geological Survey, 2018).

Where does the extracted water go?

The largest amount of our freshwater is used for electricity generation in our country. The second largest water is used for irrigation purposes. About 80% of water resources are used for either electricity generation or irrigation purposes.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 8.30.01 AM

(Source:U.S. Geological Survey, 2018)


Ohio River and disrupted water cycle


Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 8.54.09 AM



The purpose of this activity is to enhance students’ skills in addition and subtraction and reading graphs, while improvingtheir understanding of how our waterresourcesare used in our nation. This activity was created based on data obtained from the U.S. Geological Survey.


worksheet & answer key

Math Skill: Interpreting circle graphs

Using the circle graph which shows how much and for what purposes water resources are used in our country, students are asked to read the circle graph.



Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 8.54.09 AM