Grade level: 5th grade
Skills: Multiplication and Division
Related environmental issues: Energy
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Plant in Princeton, Indiana, manufactures Highlander Hybrid. By using an electric motor, the Highlander Hybrid depends less on gasoline and emits 90% fewer exhaust gas than the average gasoline powered vehicle.
The 2020 model of Highlander Hybrid can run 36 miles on a gallon of gasoline. Hailey’s family plans a trip to the Yellowstone National Park and the distance to and from the park is 540 miles.
- How many gallons of gasoline will Hailey’s family use for the trip?
- Brent’s family next door has a 2016 gasoline Highlander that runs 20 miles on a gallon of gasoline and will join the trip. How many gallons of gasoline will Brent’s family use for the trip?
- How many more or less gallons of gasoline will Hailey’s family use than Brent’s family?
- The price of gasoline is $2. How much more or less will Hailey’s family spend for gasoline than Brent’s family?
- 15 gallons (540÷ 36 = 15)
- 27 gallons (540 ÷ 20 = 27)
- 12 gallons less (27 – 15 = 12)
- $ 24 (12 x 2 = 24)